- WIN – Your horse must finish 1st
- PLACE – Your horse must finish 1st or 2nd
- SHOW – Your horse must finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd
- ACROSS THE BOARD – Three equal bets to win, place and show on a single horse
- QUICK PICKS – Can’t decide? Ask for a Quick Pick and a bet will be randomly selected for you.
- EXACTOR – Try to pick the first 2 horses to cross the finish line. They must finish in the exact order you designate when purchasing your ticket.
- TRIACTOR – Try to pick the first 3 horses to cross the finish line in the exact order.
- SUPERFECTA – Try to pick the first 4 horses to cross the finish line in the exact order.
- DAILY DOUBLE – Try to pick the winning horse in two consecutive races.
- PICK 3, PICK 4 – Try to pick the winning horse in 3 or 4 consecutive races.
- BOXING FEATURE BETS – When you box a bet, essentially you are giving yourself every possible combination of the horses you select in a feature race. For instance, in an Exactor race, if you “box” horse #1 and horse #2, you will have a ticket with two bets – 1 & 2 and 2 & 1.
- 20¢ EXOTICS – See a host for details.
The Oddity of the Odds
Odds are determined by how much money is bet on each horse to WIN. The more money wagered on a horse, the more people share in the “pool”, the less the horse will pay. If a horse listed at 10 – 1 on a $2 bet, you would receive approximately $22 should that horse win.
|Here are some examples on a $2 bet|
Keeping Cool at the window
Now that you’re up to speed on the different kinds of bets you can make, its time to learn window protocol. Remember these 5 simple steps…
What to say...
|The five steps||Example|
|1||Say the name of the track||Northlands Park|
|2||Say the race number||Race 2|
|3||Say the amount of the bet||$2|
|4||Say the type of bet||to WIN|
|5||Say the number of the horse||on #8|
Putting it all together in an example: "I'd like Northlands Park, Race 2, $2 to win on #8"